Whether it’s a road trip across Europe or a campervan around New Zealand, traveling book easily within a large number of selected private adventure tours in Grand Canyon by automobile can be an excellent experience that we look forward to. There’s nothing quite like the independence of the open road and being the master of your own schedule. The only trouble is when you find yourself driving on the ‘wrong’ side of the road. It can come as a surprise your private tour guide when you suddenly realize that you’re the reason for the horns blaring.
Whether you’re moving from left to right or right to left, driving on the other side of the road can be intimidating, because the side you are sitting on is different and traffic is coming at you from the wrong side of the road- compared to what you have been used to. Not to worry, we’ve put together some tips to make the experience smoother and less stressful.
1. Note: you will be driving on the reverse side of the automobile from what you’re used to. This takes a bit of time to get used to. You may end up going to the passenger side to open the automobile, don’t panic just return to the right side each time and eventually it’ll become second nature.
2. Note: the gear shift means you’ll have to use your other hand. Make driving easier by driving an automatic, as you do not have to worry about shifting gears. If it’s a manual gear vehicle, you will need to be at alert to the hand positioning. It’s wise to practice this while immobile until it feels comfortable.
3. Note: keep to the left side of the road when driving. Perhaps this is the most difficult when the road is not busy and deserted. But is there are other cars are on the road, it is pretty clear where you should be driving, but your head can easily drift when you are exhausted or not focus, causing you to drive on the wrong side. Be aware, be attentive, and do not drive tired.
4. Note: learn to turn in the opposite way. Although it feels strange in the beginning, you’ll get used to making right-hand or left-hand turns into traffic as opposed to the other way around. This will take some practice.
5. Note: learn the left-hand and right-hand turns. In some areas, you have to give way to traffic from the right, which can be possibly difficult when there are people crossing the road. It is a case of understanding the local road rules.
Enjoy and develop you ambidextrous driving skills. After some time, driving on the opposite side of the road becomes a second nature, and is as easy as your previous driving skills. This is great if you travel a lot because it means that you could alter your driving side with no second thought.